Sunday, July 09, 2006

Summer... are you around?

With school out of session my sanity has been somewhat restored. There are still outstanding balances though. For example, my history teacher from fall 2005 still hasn't returned my paper and all my E-mail inquiries seem to have been conveninently... "never received." On the flip side, rumor has it that the DMA warden* will be replaced very soon by one who might have a better chance and bringing balance to the force.

But why dwell on the past? It's summer and I was quite surprised to find out about some of the events that were taking place at NEC, not to mention some really good FREE concerts. The Boston GuitarFest 2006 with Eliot Fisk directing was a stunning event. Another program focused on contemporary music and presented some free concerts, one that featured compositions by Augusta Reed Thomas. Next week there's the flamenco institute, which should be fun, complete with dancer, guitar and percussion. Hot. No doubt, the school takes on a life of its own during the summer. Very cool!

I wonder if the students know about it though. True, many of us are gone but for those of us who are delighting in the smell of the roasting trash cans on Huntington Ave., the duck-loads of tourists or even just the plain old deserted party scene that is summer in Boston, NEC still has a good bit to offer.

To that I say, "gosh I wish NEC could communicate with the students through E-mail with simple updates about what still goes on in the building." Don't need any fancy HTML--plain text will be fine.

* I watched Shawshank Redemption recently and I can't help but compare and not contrast these two wardens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home